Sagg Main Beach: Best Beaches in the Mid-Atlantic
Sagg Main Beach is a 1,500 foot stretch of beach fronting the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent to Sagaponack Pond. It's a best beach for singles, couples, families, retirees, and dog lovers, albeit off-season only.
Beach Personality: Uncrowded Hamptons’ Beach
Sagg Main Beach
Like its Hamptons brethren, Sagg Main Beach is a pristine example of sand, surf, sun, and fun. The sand here is a little coarser than at Coopers Beach down the road, but it’s equally as clean and delightful. Plus, Sagg Main Beach isn’t as well-known so doesn’t get quite so crowded, though with their high parking rates none of the Hamptons beaches generally get all that crowded.
- Walking on the beach
- Boogie boarding
- Paddle boarding (SUP)
- Kite surfing
- Public bathrooms – Yes, in-season only.
- Showers – Yes, in-season only.
- Parking – Yes, for a fee in-season. Non-residents can buy a full season parking permit at the Southampton Parks & Recreation Department or daily passes at the beach.
- Food – Yes, in-season.
- Lifeguard – Yes, in-season.
- Dogs allowed on the beach – Yes, from October 1 through March 31.
The season includes weekends mid-May through late June, then daily from late June to Labor Day.
None at the beach, however, eastern Long Island rental spots within driving distance of Sagg Main Beach include…
- Main Beach Surf and Sport
- Website: http://mainbeach.com/
- Address: 352 Montauk Highway, Wainscott NY 11975
- Phone: 631-537-2716
- Rentals include surfboards, paddleboards (SUP), kayaks, and canoes. They also offer surfing, kayaking and SUP lessons, and kayak and SUP tours.
- Amagansett Beach & Bicycle Co.
- Website: http://www.amagansettbeachco.com/
- Address: 624 Montauk Highway, Amagansett New York 11930
- Phone: 631-267-6325
- Rentals include bikes, kayaks, paddleboards (SUP), rowing shells, surfboards, boogie boards, windsurfers, and skates. They also offer kayak lessons and bike, kayak and SUP tours.
- Uihlein’s Marina
- Website: http://www.uihleinsmarina.com/
- Address: 444 West Lake Drive, Montauk New York 11954
- Phone: 631-668-3799
- Rentals include boats, jet skis, kayaks, and tubes.
- Springs General Store
- Website: http://www.springsgeneralstore.com/
- Address: 29 Old Stone Highway, East Hampton NY 11937
- Phone: 631-329-5065
- Offers kayak rentals, tours, and lessons.
- Weekend Warrior Tours
- Website: http://www.weekendwarriortours.com/
- Address: 8 Main Street, Sag Harbor NY 11963
- Phone: 631-725-5950
- Rents kayaks and paddleboards (SUP). Also have kayak and SUP lessons and tours.
- Paddle Diva
- Website: http://www.paddlediva.com/
- Address: Lincoln Avenue, East Hampton NY 11937
- Phone: 516-383-229661
- Specializes in working with women with paddleboard (SUP) rentals, lessons, and tours.
Sagg Main Beach is located at the end of Sagg Main Street in Sagaponack NY 11962, which is part of the Town of Southampton. To reach Sagg Main Beach from the west, take either I-495 East or Southern State Parkway East. Whether taking I-495 or Southern State Parkway, exit at Route 27 East, Montauk Highway. Continue on Montauk Highway until you reach Sagg Main Street. Take a right at Sagg Main Street and continue to the end of the road where you will see the beach parking lot on your right.
To many joyful beach experiences! — Lisa Dworkin
Photos courtesy of Lisa Dworkin. More photos available on Flickr.