Coopers Beach: Best Beaches in the Mid-Atlantic
Dr. Beach, Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, rated Coopers Beach the #1 beach in the US in 2010. It's blessed with a soft, fluffy, clean, wide sandy beach and lots of amenities making it a best beach for singles, couples, families, and retirees.
Beach Personality: Stunning Beach, But You’ll Pay (Literally) For The Pleasure
Coopers Beach is truly a piece of oceanfront paradise located 98 miles from New York City. The only downsides to Coopers Beach are in-season parking is limited and expensive, if you aren’t a Southampton resident, and there are no amenities at the beach off-season, which is a hassle if the off-season weather warrants a day at the beach. Nonetheless, if I were a New Yorker looking for a day trip to the beach I would leave early, pay up for parking (hey, it’s cheaper than a day of parking in the city) and enjoy all that Coopers Beach has to offer.
I also had the pleasure of interviewing Joseph P. Graygor Jr., a longtime Southampton resident who knows his beaches, especially Coopers Beach. Here’s what he said about Coopers Beach. The best things about Coopers Beach are it has a “big, wide, beautiful sandy beach”; the ocean off the beach has a “gentle slope with a sandy bottom so you can walk into the water”; there are “no bugs” including the common, but dreaded, mosquitoes and black flies; and the beach is “very clean because there are garbage cans all over the beach and the garbage is collected daily” in-season. The sand is also cleaned daily in-season so there is absolutely no debris marring the shoreline.
- Walking on the beach
- Boogie boarding
- Paddle boarding (SUP)
- Kite surfing
- Summer concerts on the beach. For concert schedule, see http://southamptonculturalcenter.org/node/22
- Public bathrooms – Yes, in-season only.
- Showers – Yes, in-season only.
- Parking – Yes, for a fee in-season.
- Food – Yes, in-season.
- Lifeguard – Yes, in-season.
- Dogs allowed on the beach – No.
According to Southampton Village Hall, “In season would be Memorial Day to Labor Day. The beach is staffed with lifeguards on weekends from Memorial Day to the last weekend in June. After that, it is staffed daily through Labor Day. The concession (plus bathrooms and showers) is (are) open daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day.”
Chairs and umbrellas are available for rent at the beach in-season.
Other eastern Long Island rental spots within driving distance of Coopers Beach include…
- Main Beach Surf and Sport
- Website: http://mainbeach.com/
- Address: 352 Montauk Highway, Wainscott NY 11975
- Phone: 631-537-2716
- Rentals include surfboards, paddleboards (SUP), kayaks, and canoes. They also offer surfing, kayaking and SUP lessons, and kayak and SUP tours.
- Amagansett Beach & Bicycle Co.
- Website: http://www.amagansettbeachco.com/
- Address: 624 Montauk Highway, Amagansett New York 11930
- Phone: 631-267-6325
- Rentals include bikes, kayaks, paddleboards (SUP), rowing shells, surfboards, boogie boards, windsurfers, and skates. They also offer kayak lessons and bike, kayak and SUP tours.
- Uihlein’s Marina
- Website: http://www.uihleinsmarina.com/
- Address: 444 West Lake Drive, Montauk New York 11954
- Phone: 631-668-3799
- Rentals include boats, jet skis, kayaks, and tubes.
- Springs General Store
- Website: http://www.springsgeneralstore.com/
- Address: 29 Old Stone Highway, East Hampton NY 11937
- Phone: 631-329-5065
- Offers kayak rentals, tours, and lessons.
- Weekend Warrior Tours
- Website: http://www.weekendwarriortours.com/
- Address: 8 Main Street, Sag Harbor NY 11963
- Phone: 631-725-5950
- Rents kayaks and paddleboards (SUP). Also have kayak and SUP lessons and tours.
- Paddle Diva
- Website: http://www.paddlediva.com/
- Address: Lincoln Avenue, East Hampton NY 11937
- Phone: 516-383-229661
- Specializes in working with women with paddleboard (SUP) rentals, lessons, and tours.
Coopers Beach is located at 268 Meadow Lane, Southampton NY 11968. To reach Coopers Beach from the west, take either I-495 East or Southern State Parkway East. Whether taking I-495 or Southern State Parkway, exit at Route 27 East, Montauk Highway. Continue on Montauk Highway even after the name changes to Hill Street. At 1st Neck Lane turn right and then turn left onto Meadow Lane. Coopers’ Beach parking lots will be on both the right and left hand sides of the road.
To many joyful beach experiences!
— Lisa Dworkin
Photos courtesy of Lisa Dworkin. More photos available on Flickr.